Lower Endoscopy: Colonoscopy and Rectal Endosonography
- Purchase at the pharmacy: Two (2) bottles of 1.5 oz OR one (1) 3 oz bottle of Fleet Phospho-soda laxative. You do not need a prescription. Please Inform us if you have kidney failure, heart disease or ascites (fluid in the abdomen caused by liver disease.)
- If you are a diabetic, please notify our office at 415-600-1151 and our R.N. will discuss your morning diabetes medications with you. Check your finger stick glucose before leaving home and notify the nurse of the result upon arrival to the endoscopy suite. Bring your blood glucose meter with you.
- Five days prior to the procedure: Stop taking aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs. (Advil, Motrin, Naprosyn, etc.)If you are on Coumadin or Plavix or other blood thinning medication notify our office immediately at 415-600-1151. Do not eat nuts, seeds, popcorn or corn
- On the day before the procedure: Have only clear liquids (broth, clear soups or beverages, transparent juices, Jello and popsicles) until 4 hours before the procedure the next day. HAVE NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER THAT.
At 2 p.m. mix 3 measuring tablespoons of Fleet Phospho-Soda in a large (at least 8 oz.) glass of a clear beverage and sip slowly over 10-15 minutes. Follow with two more 8 oz. glasses of clear liquid without any medication sipped over the next 30 minutes.
At 6 p.m. repeat the above.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU DRINK PLENTY OF CLEAR FLUIDS THE DAY BEFORE THE PROCEDURE.
- On the day of the procedure: You may have clear liquids until 4 hours before the procedure. You may take necessary medications with a few sips of water.
- Remember: Driving is not permitted for at least 12 hours after your procedure, due to drowsiness and delayed reflexes from the IV medication. You should also not conduct any business or sign any legal documents until the next day.